ARIN details key findings from NTIA IPv6 Workshop
Chantilly, VA – The American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN), a nonprofit association that manages the distribution of IP addresses and other Internet number resources, today announced key findings from NTIA IPv6 Workshop held on 28 September 2010. The workshop began with a panel discussion moderated by Aneesh Chopra, director of technology from the United States, bringing together experts and John Curran, ARIN President and CEO, to highlight steps U.S. companies should take to ensure adoption IPv6.
With 94.5% of IPv4 addresses already allocated and the remaining 5.5% is expected to be allocated by mid-2011, a panel of industry experts explained that IPv6 is the only way for the continued growth of the Internet. The panelists also agreed that IPv6 is necessary for all future efforts around cloud computing, intelligent networks, mobility, and the Internet of Things.
ARIN hoped the workshop to encourage companies providing Internet services through, for example through a website, to make arrangements IPv6 sooner rather than later. The steps that companies can take include:
* Replacement of obsolete equipment and software with IPv6 devices and applications
* Development of hardware and application vendors to support IPv6, and IPv6 support specifically in the RFP and contracts
* Sending IPv6 IT staff to training seminars and encourage them to read forums such as ARIN IPv6 Wiki
* Talk to Internet providers about how to obtain service or about IPv6 tunneling IPv6 over IPv4
Other key findings from NTIA industry group:
* Chopra called three deliveries to industry experts should help to create to offer an explanation for the company’s industry and to help companies in their transition to IPv6.
o Create a template for members of the board of the company to assess the risks of adoption and to keep abreast of the status of their organizations to adopt IPv6
or Create a staff of engineers, which includes the right questions to ask suppliers and any other training activity must take part in
or Create a panel of transparency at both the national and international companies and governments can see how the United States as a whole is moving toward the adoption of IPv6
or Jason Livingood, Comcast Executive Director highlighted some recent results of tests Comcast IPv6. Native IPv4 and IPv6 dual-stack networks have the best access and ultimately less expensive to install and operate.
Following the industry group responsible for U.S. information, Vivek Kundra, led a government panel that details the commitment of the U.S. Government for operational deployment and use of IPv6. Mr. Kundra also announced other government agencies should take measures to accelerate the operational deployment and use of IPv6. These steps include:
* Updated the public and external facing servers and services (eg web, mail, DNS, ISP services, etc.) for operational use native IPv6 by the end of FY 2012
* Update customer internal applications that communicate with Internet servers and support for business networks to use native IPv6 operationally at the end of fiscal year 2014
* Designate an IPv6 Transition Manager October 30, 2010, to serve as the person responsible for directing the activities of the agency IPv6 transition, and liaison with the greatest effort of the government when necessary IPv6
* Ensure that the procurement agency IT network complies with the requirements of the FAR for use USGv6 profile and testing program for the integrity and quality of IPv6 capabilities
“The good news is this part of the ecosystem is under way. We need people of protocol. We have the administrative infrastructure for IPv6 issue,” said Curran. “I’ve been reporting to the Internet backbone companies, content providers, enterprises and governments are going to be running out of IPv4 addresses for 15 years. Now having plans and implement them rapidly in the next 18 months, which will be essential for success. ”
About the American Registry for Internet Numbers
ARIN is a nonprofit corporation that manages the distribution of Internet number resources – IPv4, IPv6 and Autonomous System numbers – in its service region, which includes Canada, many Caribbean islands and the North Atlantic and the United States . More information about the adoption of IPv6 is available and www.arin.net www.getipv6.info.
Tags: addresses, adoption, arin, businesses, create, end of fy, industry, internet, ipv4, ipv6, ipv6 adoption, ipv6 transition, necessary, operationally use native, panel, states, steps, united, united states