Equinix Extends Its Leadership in Energy Efficient Data Centers
FOSTER CITY, Calif. – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), a global provider of data center, announced today that its SV2 International Business Exchange ™ (IBX ®) data center has earned the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The last accreditation extends global leadership in Equinix energy performance, efficient data centers, and is based on the company’s history of innovative programs designed to help companies reduce their carbon footprint.
LEED is an internationally recognized green building certification. Provides third-party verification that a building or community was designed and built using the strategies to improve performance in a number of indicators, including energy saving, water efficiency, reducing CO2 emissions, improving indoor environmental quality and resource management.
The SV2 IBX data center received LEED certification program under the existing building as a result of the expansion and conversion green Equinix IBX, completed in mid-2009. The refurbishment included the installation of economizers on track, fans incorporating variable frequency drives (VFD) and LED lamps and occupancy sensors, including procedures for efficiency. In total, the restructuring has resulted in more than four million kWh in energy savings per year and will be amortized in less than four years. The success of the modernization project also noted the recognition of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group, which in June 2009 received a Silicon Valley IBX Power Energy Innovator Award for its energy saving design.
Other examples of energy efficient data center Equinix leadership around the world include:
* Being the operator of data center for the first time in Silicon Valley to be certified as a “green business” by the County of Santa Clara Bay Area Green Business Program.
* Provide business customers in Europe the ability to calculate your CO2 footprint and identifying projects to compensate for the data center power consumption through its European carbon offset.
* Receive Naturemade Star certification, the Swiss label for green energy production and green electricity products, as its four IBX data centers in Switzerland operate with 100% green energy.
* Winning the first Green Prize of the 2008 conference in data centers in Europe for its efforts to promote energy efficiency.
* Participate in Singapore NEWater program, a joint initiative between the Singapore Public Utilities Board (PUB) and the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) designed to examine the appropriateness of the use of reclaimed water as a source of raw water to supplement Singapore’s water supply.
* Achieve energy savings of up to 30% at SG2 Equinix IBX data center in Madrid through the automatic control of high efficiency fans as dictated by the operation waiting room cooling load or under static pressure soil.
* The use of side air economizers to provide natural cooling and natural cooling part during the winter months in central IBX Equinix SY2 Data in Sydney, Australia.
“Earning LEED certification is another example of our commitment to promoting energy efficient the data center operations and further demonstrates the efficiency gains that can be achieved through innovative ideas and strategic improvements to an existing facility,” said Dave Pickut, CTO of Equinix. “This commitment takes you through all the new Equinix IBX data centers as well, which are designed to comply with our guidelines on best practices. We are very proud of the fact that the modernization projects, such as SV2, and recently designed IBX centers data, such as New York and Sydney, have achieved levels of industry-leading efficiency. ”
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) provides data center services that ensure the vitality of the world based on the information. global enterprises, content and financial companies and network service providers rely on Equinix vision and experience to protect and connect their most valuable information assets. Equinix operates 49 International Business Exchange ™ (IBX ®) data centers across 18 markets in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
Tags: building, business, center, centers, certification, data, data center, data centers, designed, efficiency, efficient data, efficient data center, energy, energy efficient, energy efficient data, energy savings, equinix, global, Green, ibx, ibx data, ibx data center, ibx data centers, leadership, leed, program, retrofit, silicon valley, singapore, using, water