Google “King of Malware”
Barracuda Networks Inc., a leading provider of content security, data protection and application delivery solutions, today launched the Barracuda Laboratories Midyear 2010 Report on the security, reveal the data in two key areas: search engine malware and the use of Twitter and the crime rate. The company presents this data in security Bside DefCon in Las Vegas and 18 of this week in Las Vegas. The full report is available on the website of the company http://barracudalabs.com security research.
Barracuda Laboratories conducted a study by Bing, Google, Twitter and Yahoo, in a period of approximately two months. The analysis reviewed more than 25,000 trends and issues nearly 5.5 million search results. The purpose of this study was to analyze issues of trends in popular search engines to understand the scope of the problem and identify the types of items used by malware distributors. The results will be presented at DefCon 18 on Saturday, July 31 at 11:00 AM PT, at the Riviera Hotel & Casino.
Key points of the search engine study include:
• In general, Google takes the crown for the distribution of malware – rising more than twice the amount of malware such as Bing, Twitter and Yahoo combined when popular search trending topics have been made. Google launches in 69 percent; Yahoo! 18 percent; Bing by 12 percent and one percent Twitter.
• The average amount of time to a matter of tendency to appear in one of the major search engines after appearing on Twitter varies greatly: for Google 1.2 days, 4.3 days to Bing, and 4.8 days for Yahoo!
• More than half of malware found was between 4:00 am and 10:00 am GMT.
• The 10 terms used by malware distributors include the name of an NFL player, three actresses, a play * child [sic] Playmate and a college student who faked her way into Harvard.
The Dark Side of Twitter
Barracuda labs analyzed more than 25 million Twitter accounts, legitimate and malicious. The purpose of this part of the study was to measure and analyze the behavior of the Twitter account to model normal user behavior and identify the characteristics that are strong indicators of illegitimate use of the account. The study examines several key areas such as real users1 Twitter, Twitter Crime Number3 Rate2 and Tweet. The results will be presented at Bside Security in Las Vegas on Wednesday, July 28 at 3:00 pm PT, in the spring 2810.
Key research points Twitter include:
• In general, the activity is increasingly on Twitter: more users are coming online, real Twitter Twitter users are more often, and even casual users are becoming more active. As users become more active, malicious activity also increases
• Only 28.87 percent of the users of Twitter are real real Twitter user
• Half of the users of Twitter Tweet least once a day, however, one of every 10 users tweet five or more times a day and 30 percent of Twitter accounts have never tweeted
• One of every eight users of Twitter have at least 10 times more fans than they are as follows
• Only one in 10 people are following more than 100 users, and nearly half are pursuing less than five
• The Twitter Crime Rate for the first half of 2010 was 1.67 percent
To view the full Barracuda Laboratories Midyear 2010 Report on the security and portal security company, please visit http://barracudalabs.com.
About Barracuda Networks Inc.
Barracuda Networks Inc. combines local and based gateway software, virtual appliances, cloud services, and support sophisticated remote control to provide comprehensive content security, data protection and application delivery solutions. The company’s portfolio of products includes offers broad protection for email, web threats, and instant messaging as well as products that improve the delivery of applications and network access, message archiving, backup and data protection. Coca-Cola, FedEx, Harvard University, IBM, L’Oreal, and Europcar are among the more than 100,000 organizations protect their IT infrastructures with Barracuda Networks range of affordable, easy to deploy and manage solutions. Barracuda Networks is a privately held company with international headquarters in Campbell, Calif. For more information, please visit www.barracudanetworks.com.
Tags: application delivery, barracuda, barracuda labs, barracuda networks, barracuda networks inc, bing, bsides las vegas, company, data, data protection, google, half, http barracudalabs com, key, labs, las vegas, malware, midyear security report, networks, networks inc, percent, percent of twitter, protection, Search, Security, security bsides las, topics, trending, trending topics, true twitter, true twitter users, twitter, twitter and yahoo, twitter users, used by malware, users, yahoo